2019-2020 Brown Marmorated Stink Bug (BMSB) Safeguarding Arrangements
Australian Quarantine have trialled certain entities across a variety of industry sectors with varying import volumes on the eligibility criteria and application process required for a Safeguarding Arrangement.
The trial period has now ended and is now open to industry.
What is the Safeguarding Arrangement Scheme?
The scheme has been introduced as an alternative pathway for goods during the BMSB risk season. It recognizes approved Importers that have the ability to manage the biosecurity risk and seasonal pest risk offshore, from point of manufacture to the point of embarkation in line with eligibility criteria.
What is the eligibility criteria?
Safeguarding Arrangements will only be considered for:
- Offshore supply chains and/or manufacturing/storage facilities.
- Goods transported as break bulk including those shipped on flat rack and in open top containers.
- Goods transported in full container loads (FCL) containers and full consolidated (FCX) containers.
- Goods with a minimum import volume of 50 containers and 5000 vehicles/units during the BMSB season.
Safeguarding Arrangements will not be considered for:
- Goods transported in less than container load (LCL) and freight of all kinds (FAK) containers.
- Goods that have ‘many-to-many’ supply chains, such as those encompassing goods obtained from multiple suppliers to multiple importers.
- Where arrangements are already in place to manage biosecurity risks including, but not limited to, Giant African Snail, Asian Gypsy Moth or Burnt Pine Longicorn.
What are the potential benefits to your business?
There are many benefits that would apply such as:
- Implementation of biosecurity systems to help manage your products including the BMSB season.
- Reduction of biosecurity risks and risk management costs.
- Recognition of offshore quality assurance procedures.
- Potential to reduce clearance delays at the border with recognised offshore safeguarding systems.
- Recognition by Australian Quarantine of the integrity of the goods arriving at the border.
Please contact your Henning Harders Key Account Manager if you would like to go on this scheme or you have any further questions.